Monday, May 2, 2011

Doubting John

Yesterday’s Gospel reading was one of my favorites; the passage about Doubting Thomas. I like the story about Thomas because I can identify with him.
I mean, we all have doubts, right? It's surprising that there was only one doubter like Thomas among the apostles. If you believe the Gospel accounts, the apostles really didn't have a clue about what Jesus was doing. They sometimes seem like a bunch of blockheads who had no idea that their leader had to die and rise again to fulfill His mission on earth. Thomas's reaction on hearing the story that Jesus had appeared among the apostles was a perfectly natural one. I can easily imagine myself reacting the same way.
The priest's sermon on this topic was very muddled and confused, however. I think he was trying to make the point that if you have doubts like Thomas you should do something about them. He told about a man he knows who's had the same doubts about the accuracy of the Gospel translations for 27 years. He said this person was intellectually lazy, and that he should have cleared up his doubts a long time ago. He ended the sermon by challenging the congregation with this phrase, "What would it take for you to overcome your doubts?"
And then he walked off the pulpit and continued with the liturgy.
I guess this was supposed to be a real boffo ending, a dramatic way to end the homily.
It just left me confused.
I agree that it’s better to address doubt than to simply live with it. The thing is, what if the only way to resolve your doubt about Jesus rising from the dead is to see him just like Thomas did? What if that’s the only thing that will satisfy you? Reading a book or having a debate or watching a documentary on TV won’t do it. You really want the ultimate proof: to see Him in the flesh.
Thomas got to see Jesus in the flesh, and touch his wounds. That was a real effective way to clear up his doubt. But as far as I know, not too many people since then have been in the position of Thomas. In Science, doubt is resolved by proof, and proof has  some pretty stringent requirements. It has to be measurable, and falsifiable, to name two. In an age when doubts and conspiracy theories abound, when miracles are routinely explained away through scientific theory, skepticism is a part of everyone’s mindset. Seeing Jesus in the flesh would clear up my doubts, but that's not something I have much control over.
I really think the priest was trying to throw the whole doubt issue back on the congregation, and make it seem like it was our fault if we had doubts and that we needed to do something to clear them up. It was one of those sermons where I wanted to say, "Wait a minute, don't leave so soon. We need to talk about this. I’m not sure I agree with what you’re saying.”
I guess I'm just a Doubting John.

No comments:

Post a Comment