Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter: A Time Of Renewal

After a typical Philadelphia Spring with weeks of cold, cloudy, wet weather, I woke up this morning to see the sun streaming through my bedroom window. Somehow this happens every year around here: the cold, gray weather breaks on Easter Sunday and we have brilliant sunshine, the flowers bloom overnight, and the deep green of the trees and lawns pops out from the background of blue sky.

Something special always seems to happen around Easter. I got engaged on Easter Sunday, asking my wife to marry me on a glorious morning after Mass, in a park with azaleas blooming everywhere. Several years later we found out just before Easter that we were going to have our first child. Today I got a phone call from my nephew that his wife is pregnant with their first child.

It is a time of renewal, rebirth, hope. There are new possibilities afoot. Springtime brings hope -- yes, for folks like me it brings allergies also, but let's focus on the hope.

I am brimming with confidence about the future. I want to write books that are full of hope, passion, renewal. I have grand plans today, I am dreaming great dreams.

And why not? When the Lord has risen, anything is possible.

John McDonnell's Smashwords page

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful Easter post, John. Happy Easter to you and your family. God bless.

    ReplyDelete