Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Do We Need A National Day Of Unplugging?

 By John McDonnell

So now we have National Day of Unplugging. It was started last year by Reboot, a group of Jewish professional people who decided that we all spend too much time online, and we need a day to unplug ourselves from our technology and re-experience the wonder of the real world.

According to their Sabbath Manifesto, this year the National Day of Unplugging is from sundown Friday March 4 till sundown Saturday March 5. The folks at Reboot are encouraging everyone to “put down your cell phone, sign out of email, stop your Facebook and Twitter updates”.

It’s not a bad idea, to spend that 24 hours doing something humans have been doing for millennia -- hang out and talk, listen, connect with each other in person.

Here’s a thought, though: How many people have you interacted with in the last month only through online means? It’s probably a lot more than you actually spoke to in person, or even on the phone. And how many people do you interact with online that you haven’t met in person in the last year? Or ever? I have friends and relatives I haven’t spoken to or seen in years, but I communicate with them on a regular basis online. I have classmates from high school I have seen only once or twice at reunions in over 30 years, but we share emails at least once a month.

And how about the people we’ve never met? There’s an English fellow I met 15 years ago on an online message board and I have never seen his picture or heard his voice, but I’ve had enough meaningful conversations with him that I consider him a friend. By contrast I have friends and family members who don’t use email, Facebook or Twitter, and consequently I interact with them less than with this guy from England whom I’ve never met in person.

Whenever I hear people say that technology is isolating us I think of my grandfather. He lived and worked his whole life in Philadelphia, mostly within the confines of an area that was about three miles in diameter. He didn’t have a phone in his house till the 1950s, so he couldn’t call his daughter who moved to Michigan when she got married, or his son who went to college in Maryland. If a friend or family member moved out of the neighborhood, he lost touch with them unless they came back for a visit.

Sure, he had more face-to-face contact with his neighbors than most of us do today. He didn’t have a screen separating him from authentic human interaction. But he also lived in a smaller world than I do. He couldn’t text message or email his kids the way I can, couldn’t send pictures instantly to a daughter in Europe the way I have, and had no chance of meeting or interacting with people who lived in other countries, the way I can.

Whose world was bigger?

Who was more isolated?

I think National Day of Unplugging is a good idea if it makes people get away from their screens for a bit and go outside for a walk, or take a friend out to lunch. There’s nothing wrong with that. Sitting in front of a screen for too long can give you eyestrain, and it’s bad for the circulation. And technology will never satisfy the simple human need for touching and eye contact. However, let’s not lose sight of the fact that technology is helping us all to stay connected in ways that our parents and grandparents could not have dreamed of. Our world is so much bigger and more interesting than it was before, and technology is helping us to meet people and stay in touch with them on a much deeper level than at any time in history.

So, unplug for a day, sure.

But then plug back in again!

3 comments:

  1. Well put. There's a lot of evidence to show that online connections are especially important among senior citizens. Now that computers really have gotten easy and cheap enough for mom (and grandma) to use, they are the fastest growing segment of Facebook and other social networks.

    These aren't fake connections. They're people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met some pretty incredible people online in the last year since I've been blogging and Tweeting. And I can say that I have made true friendships. Like you, I stay in touch with cousins on Facebook that I haven't seen or spoken to in years. I even talk to my own siblings more through text, Tweets, and FB than by phone. As long as the screen time doesn't take away from the family and friends you live with and nearby, it's all good.

    Great post, John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While you may properly possess the talents of designing, somebody does even now should sew the attire to create your technology a reality. Some inside the eye-catching objects stocked up by Isabel Marant Dress. This may properly telephone call for producing a cease with a attire store to evaluation the sewing options for you. This could also provide you with the probability to seek help from straight getting a artist to create any alterations and minor modifications in detail you may properly have overlooked. Your trip will also permit you to definitely compile the advertising price of sewing it. The certainly specific concern concerning the brand brand is its ability to stand out by method of the crowd with its one-of-a-kind design & desire collection. Sizes, colors, styles and prints are plentiful & plethoric!
    cccccxxzzdf Isabel Marant Boots

    ReplyDelete