Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Lost Art Of Conversation

By John McDonnell

My wife has cousins in Ireland, and they came to visit last week. We did some sightseeing, went out to a few restaurants, took them shopping.

Mostly, though, we just talked.

The Irish have a gift for talking. Words flow out of them with the ease of a river flowing downhill, and if you stop and ask directions of a stranger in Dublin, like we did last April when we visited, you’ll probably get a story along with the directions. Indeed, the cab driver who took us to the airport was as glib and expansive as a standup comedian.

Last week we spent a lot of time with the Irish relatives just sitting around the kitchen table, drinking tea and talking.

It reminded me of how little we do that in America these days. I don’t remember the last time my family sat around the kitchen table with anyone and just chatted. We’re always too busy to sit down, there are too many deadlines to meet, schedules to keep. My children don’t know what it’s like to talk without purpose, to simply talk for the sake of talking.

It wasn’t always this way. When I was a child in the 1950s and 60s my grandparents, aunts and uncles would regularly stop by our house and visit for awhile.

They would sit in the kitchen or the living room and talk. Conversation was something that was valued. The children sometimes took part, sometimes not. Even if we were too busy to sit and talk, we could still hear the conversation from wherever we were in the house. I remember many times being sent upstairs to do my homework, but instead sitting on the floor in the hallway listening to my aunt tell stories about her pals in the Notre Dame Subway Alumni, or my uncle and father talking about playing stickball in the street in South Philadelphia when they were boys during the 1930s.

There were arguments, too -- during the Vietnam War years there were raging arguments about whether we should be involved in that war, and during the Watergate years there were many heated discussions about Nixon’s crooked machinations. When John F. Kennedy died there was anger and sadness, but the conversation was a way for them to vent their feelings at a time of tragedy.

I learned a lot listening to those conversations. I learned about history, I learned about morality, I heard a few secrets that I wasn’t supposed to, I learned how to be part of a family, a community, how to be a human being.

I worry that my children are not learning those things.

Where is the art of conversation today? Is it flourishing through text-messaging, Facebook postings, e-mail, instant messaging? Technology lovers will tell you these social networking tools are a good thing, that they’re helping people to make connections, to stay in touch with folks who live far away, to reestablish ties with friends from long ago.

In a way that’s true; through Facebook and e-mail I’m reconnected with high school friends I lost touch with 25 years ago. It’s nice to chat with them online, but these short, truncated messages, a few sentences on a screen, are not the same as sitting down across from someone and talking with them for an hour or two. Social networking is good for short bursts of information, quick hits, an update or two. An in-person visit with someone is different. When you have time to relax and just chew the fat you never know where the conversation will lead. It can twist and turn, loop back on itself, strike off in new directions. You have time to tell a story that everyone’s heard before, without the fear of someone impatiently looking at his or her watch.

The Irish know this. They pay no attention to the world and its busy rush when they have a chance to talk. A story or an anecdote is worth taking time out of your day for. A visit and a chat are important things. Talking, just talking with no particular point or sales pitch or punch line to deliver, is a good thing in itself.

I miss those days in America.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, conversation. I miss those days when people would just "drop in" unannounced for a visit. They might stay for 20 minutes or 2 hours. There was no purpose in their visit. It was simply the enjoyment of each others company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! I have Irish friends and lived in Ireland for 6 years as a teenager and they really do know how to tell a tale. I recently met up with a couple of old Irish friends in Denver and had a most marvelous time talking to them. We still talk a lot as a family but I agree that the Americans (I'm British) have mostly lost that art. Very sad. Thanks for a lovely post that made me reminisce.
    Louise Edington
    http://louiseedington.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I'm glad other people remember those times. My children don't have any idea of what it means to sit down and chat without looking at the clock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how much did I appreciate this post. It seems the more modes of communication we now have today the less communicating we actually do. It's funny because as I was reading this I was remembering various table-side gatherings where family & friends had conversations but one really fun night with my friends really stands out. It took place somewhere around 1987/88. It was around the time when, as an older teenager was terrified that the end of the world was coming at the hands of Muammar al-Gaddafi. A bunch of us had decided to gather at the house of another friend. Although it was definitely NOT 10/31, it must have been close to Halloween because the plan was to rent horror flicks to watch right through the night. None of us owned a VCR yet, LOL, so we had also rented that as well. We got to my friend's house, we put the blue light bulb in the floor lamp, set up the VCR, popped the popcorn, and prepared all of our other foods for the night. We shut off the overhead light, bunkered down on the floor with our pillows and blankets beneath the soft blue glow of our mood lighting and hit the play button. Nothing happened. We spent about 45 mins trying to get this rented VCR to work....to no avail. We finally gave in. But now what were we going to do? Somehow, and I am not even sure how this happened, but we started talking. We fell into it easily being that these were friends I grew up with - knowing them since I was eight. We discussed everything from the meaning of life, to old times, to Muammar al-Gaddafi. We covered so much that night by the light of the blue bulb.

    That is a night that none of us has ever forgotten. Had it not been for the busted VCR, it would have been just another forgotten night of endless movie watching. Those were fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That night of talking with friends is a priceless memory. We need more of that these days. When my youngest daughter had a sleepover party a couple of years ago, all her friends were too busy texting on their cell phones to even watch the movie we rented. Forget about talking -- instead of the sound of a bunch of 12 year old girls chattering away in my basement, it was eerily silent. They were all too busy with their phones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must be Irish without knowing it... and we must be super old-fashioned. In this family, boy, do we TALK.
    Sunday breakfast rolls into lunch. Dinnertime every night is talkfest. Arguments, philosophical discussions and moral debates, banter, gossip - everything a family with teenagers vitally needs.
    We create it, you see. My husband and I have talked non-stop since we met. Then we talked over the children's heads... since they joined in, we try to get a word in edgeways.
    Consequently, our children have learned a mountain of stuff (mostly how peculiar their parents are).
    It comes from a) hardly any sport; b)hardly any planned social activities that interfere with our Sunday breakfasts and daily dinners; c)a talk habit we have done nothing to stop; d) no TV or electronic stuff at table - we have never had to enforce this, it's just the way it is in our house.
    Hopefully, they will find partners that talk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John,
    What a great topic

    Aye the Scots have it to..(nothing like a wee blether) and the English... ("fancy a cuppa" is only partially to do with tea!). Probably where Rosanne gets it with there being so many people from the British Isles in Australia. Maybe the common denominator is Tea, much more than coffee since you have to wait for the kettle to boil and the tea to brew.

    A group of us on a Facebook post (about formal table settings - by Jen Duchene) were bemoaning the lack of table manners at meal times, advocating proper etiquette. Many of the group heralded from outside of the US and came to the conclusion that eating here (at home or in a restaurant) has become a speed event rather than a social one. Maybe that is the problem?

    As for the infernal cell phone in my house there are rules on when cell phones are answered (including mine) - not before 7.30am or after 9pm, not during meals AND the phones stay downstairs when we go to bed. If the world ends and we don't know about it - Oh well!

    Thanks for making me appreciate what I have even more.

    Fancy a cuppa ?
    Laine
    http://www.ThoughtsfromABroad.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear that there are families who enforce the "no cell phone at the dinner table" rule. My son tried to circumvent this rule as a teenager by holding the phone in his lap and texting without looking at the phone (amazing how they can write messages on those little keyboards without looking at the phone), but we caught him and took the phone away. I agree with Laine that eating meals in the U.S. has become a speed event. We had a French exchange student living with us this summer, and she was astonished at how fast my kids eat. My daughter visited the French girl for two weeks and came home remarking that "they take hours to eat dinner". I'm trying to slow down dinners in our house, but it's hard, with all the activities and schoolwork the kids have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,

    I also believe that the proliferation of bullying events has increased due to this lack of face-to-face communication. All of the technology has provided us with more MODES of communication but it is not substantive communication - especially at 140 characters or less.

    Also, with the poor victims of this bullying...at least before all this technology, if you were bullied, you could escape it when you got home - hopefully - but the bullying now penetrates our private lives as well...so there is no escape.

    Don't get me wrong, I love this technology as much as the next person but there is no balance or moderation with how we use it.

    We are losing the ability to carry on our oral histories, we are losing our ability to communicate F2F.

    It is all so sad...I am just happy that I had the opportunity to actually talk with my friends that night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree. Though meaningful conversation maybe a dying treasure, we could try our best to prevent its extinction. Though we may not be intimate with all the zillion "friend" on our social networking sites we could definitely make an effort to reconnect and catch up with those we shared wonderful memories with.

    Reflecting on my experience, my parents and siblings still get together every holiday and we have a strict "no email" policy!I count myself lucky!Lets hope the same thing lives on when I am 50!

    Great thought!

    ReplyDelete
  11. John - I have left a response to your comment on my blog. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete